What are PARNUTs?
PARNUTS, Foodstuffs for PARticular NUTritional uses, are foodstuffs for particular nutritional uses are foodstuffs which, owing to their special composition or manufacturing process, are clearly distinguishable from foodstuffs for normal consumption, which are suitable for their claimed nutritional purposes and which are marketed in such a way as to indicate such suitability. This could be:
- infant formula and follow-on formula;
- processed cereal-based food and baby food;
- food for special medical purposes;
- total diet replacement for weight control.
- Until 2016: Directive 2009/39/EC on foodstuffs intended for particular nutritional uses - The PARNUTS-Directive
- As of 2016: Regulation (EC) No 609/2013 on foodstuffs intended for particular nutritional uses - FSG (food for specific groups) Regulation
What are sports foods?
Sports foods are foods intended for consumption by sports people, containing nutrients that are used to assist in muscle build, muscle recovery, endurance training, electrolyte replenishment and other physiological effects. Sports foods still fall under the PARNUTS-Directive. In due course the recently adopted FSG Regulation places Sports foods under foods and food supplements. The Regulation also for data for the establishment of a special Sports Food Regulation in the future.
Information about 'cookies': according to the EU Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations in force, we are required to obtain your consent to use 'cookies' that help us understand how you use this website. If you continue browsing this site we understand that you are giving us your consent.